Saturday, August 23, 2008

Babyland


I watched a special on ABC a few nights ago called Babyland.
Outside Memphis, there is a cemetery filled with tiny coffins. And so the nickname given my local residents, Babyland.

The poverty-stricken intercity areas have the highest infant mortality rates ( over 200 a year just in that area, 100 more than deaths from homicide in the area). Post-traumatic stress from seeing crime and homicides happen in broad daylight can cause miscarriages or other complications. And young single moms don't generally receive prenatal care, hence there is a very high number of very premature births. The women and girls are not educated or supported. The thing about those who live in poverty is, they generally don't feel entitled to things like health care or a higher standard of living because they have never experienced that. And so the cycle of poverty continues.

It really broken my heart to see these people being denied and this problem being ignored (a definite prejudice, whether racial or financial). There were others trying to do what they could to help. Nurses making home visits to expecting young moms (12-13 years and older). But with continuous budget cuts, this was becoming increasingly difficult. Anyway, it really spoke to me and I wanted to share this information. I think I know what I want to do in my life.

No comments: