Thursday, June 25, 2009

'My life is my message' -Gandhi

“My life is my message”

thoughts & themes:

I recently saw Gandhi a 1982 film.
If you haven’t seen the film you absolutely should. Its three hours but it is so well-done and the story is, of course, both inspiring and profound. .

To fight:
One of my favorite conversations from the film was possible one of the main ideals the great man based his life on: will you fight for a change or for a punishment? Is it not true that most if not all conflict arises from misunderstandings aka people’s unwillingness or inability to see beyond their own blindnesses. Therefore, it seems that the only worthy fight is the one with ourselves. The only fight I should have is the one against my own anger. Ego. Imperfections.

(the piano version is better)

Your Hand In Mine - Explosions In The Sky
I once heard an idea of holding hands with your loved one when you are angry at each other. There is something special about the act of holding hands. Something deeply binding and vulnerable and calming I’d imagine. A gesture of love. Making resolving the problem the focus rather than hurting each other. It is in no way passive and the intention is not clouded with weakness. I like the idea.

Of riches:
Gandhi studied to be a lawyer. To the outside world, it may have seemed that he gave everything up. It is incredible that instead of using his education for his own gain, he devoted his entire life and education, even his body, to his cause.

Recently, I have been struggling, wondering if I am on the right path. I remind myself that the greater the sacrifice the greater the victory for whatever cause you are under.

We visited a family friend, who was asking all about my last quarter at school, the activites I have been involved in, the friends I have been blessed with, the great thing I am learning, and the exciting things to come. He said “ it sounds like you have a rich life” I wanted to cry. I truly do! I have to keep reminding myself where my priorities are and have faith that everything else will fall into place, as has often proved true. I will end up where I am supposed to be doing what I am meant to do.

On courage:
“If a man strikes you on the right cheek, offer him your left”
Can one be courageous and meek and humble?
I think I am becoming better at being bold and true. But, I think courage also takes the form of letting “ your heart burn with loving kindness for all who may cross you path.” I want to be less reserved and more full of love for my fellow man. This takes true courage.

3 comments:

Pedram Arani said...

i agree wholeheartedly. It is truly too bad more people on this earth do not come to the same realization you have.

Lily said...

one day :)

mona said...

this entire post is so lovely! great things are in store for you ms. lily. i am certain of it.